Why Wash Your Hands Before Touching A Baby?

Recently a Tennessee dad posted photos of his infant daughter on Imgur. The photos went viral. If you are thinking the photos were cute and adorable and hence went viral, you are wrong.

The dad, name not disclosed, did not post photos of his daughter playing around all happy and cute. He posted photos of his daughter, still cute and beautiful, fighting for her life for over three weeks in the hospital. He also posted a warning along with the photos: WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE TOUCHING AN INFANT.


He almost lost his daughter because of someone’s negligence. He is urging people to wash their hands which are, in most cases, coated with germs before going anywhere near an infant. There is no excuse for not doing so.

Babies are vulnerable and their immune systems are yet to develop. Even the slightest complication can escalate very quickly. Originally his daughter was diagnosed with viral meningitis, of which she recovered quickly. But, she was later diagnosed with a much severe case of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). His narration of what happened is heartbreaking:

We almost lost her last Monday. Our local hospital told us if she got any worse there was nothing more they could do for her. We had to move her to a better facility… As soon as the pediatric team arrived at the hospital to pick her up, she flatlined. They revived her and put her on a ventilator immediately. Since then, she has been diagnosed with of course RSV, a severe case of pneumonia, type h flu, bronchiolitis, and a partially collapsed right lung.


A respiratory virus, RSV starts as a mild cold but rapidly turns severe in infants. Nearly 3% of the infants contracting RSV become really sick and require oxygen support. The other 97% take four to six weeks to recover. RSV is no joke and parents must be aware of such conditions. Being highly contagious, RSV can spread through droplets of sneezes and coughs. They can even pass on from hard surfaces such as grocery carts and door handles. The best and the safest way to protect your infant is to sanitize your hands before touching them. It is as simple as that, but most of us fail to do it.

In the Tennessee dad’s case, there is no way of knowing how exactly she contracted RSV. But, if everybody had been a little more careful, this could have been avoided. When we can prevent the illnesses with simple steps, why expose ourselves to unwanted risks. Simple colds and viruses can soon turn deadly as noticed in this case. We hope you understand the seriousness of the issue. We will end the article with dad’s words:

RSV is no joke. I didn’t know much about it until a week ago when it almost took my daughter from me. Please make sure to wash your hands before handling little ones. And make sure to wrap them up when heading outside into the cold.

H/T: Imgur, Scary Mommy, CDC

Photo Credits: Imgur, eBlogline, Era-soap

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most Popular

To Top