Kate Winslet is among one of the most popular actress on the planet. She got her big break through the 1997 super hit film Titanic. Here are 21 interesting facts you did not know about Kate Winslet.
1. Kate Winslet was born in Reading, England, on October 5, 1975, as Kate Elizabeth Winslet.
2. Kate Winslet was born into a family of actors. Her father Roger Winslet and mother Sally Bridges-Winslet are both actors. Her two grandparents were theater managers. Her maternal grandparents founded the Reading Repertory Theatre. Her sisters, Beth Winslet and Anna Winslet, are actors too. She has a brother Joss Winslet and he is the only one in the family who is not into professional acting.
3. Winslet’s first foray into acting was at the age of 11 in a Sugar Puffs commercial. Only her hand featured in the commercial but it was her first paid acting job (You can see her talking about the commercial in the video). Winslet started taking acting lesson from the age of 11 and is extensively trained. Ever since she had been a regular on the small screen and on stage before she made her way into the movies.
4. Winslet’s big movie break came in the 1994 movie Heavenly Creatures where she played the role of an obsessive adolescent. She was 17 at the time. Even though the movie tasted success it did not bring her national fame. It was Ang Lee’s period drama film Sense and Sensibility (which also came out in 1994) that put Winslet on the map. She shared screen space with Emma Thompson and won a British Academy Award for it. She also bagged her first Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress.
5. Even though Winslet was great in her earlier movies, it was James Cameroon’s 1997 hit film Titanic that brought her worldwide recognition. She starred opposite Leonardo DiCaprio and the actors have remained close ever since. Their chemistry was one of the biggest highlights of the film. Winslet received her second Oscar nomination for her portrayal of Rose DeWitt Bukater, and was the youngest actress to receive two Oscar nominations. Winslet missed the premiere of Titanic in 1997 as she had the funeral of Stephen Tredre, former boyfriend with whom she remained close friends.
Continue “Next” To Continue Reading…